Beach Erosion Update – October 19

Thankfully the lake has been calm as of late, although we hold our breath as the fall weather will more than likely bring big waves. We are working diligently to be in a position to start construction on the shoreline protection system this November. In response to the current beach situation, and upon the recommendation of the SmithGroup JJR coastal engineering firm working with us, Camp management, along with the Lutheran Camp Association’s (LCA) Board of Directors, we feel strongly that it would be irresponsible to wait any longer than is necessary to address the current beach crisis.

Below is an update on the various aspects of the project.

Shoreline Project

The construction plans are being completed and a bid packet will be sent out to potential contractors next week. We will have an on-site bid meeting with interested contractors and our shoreline engineers, SmithGroup JJR at the end of October to answer any questions about the plans. In early November we will start to receive bids with the hope of selecting a contractor by the middle to end of November. Once we have a contractor selected we will have more accurate cost projections.

Construction Timeline

We hope to begin construction at the end of November and complete the beach project by the middle of June. To provide for good working conditions we pray for calm lake conditions and ice to build-up on the shore which will protect the shore from the waves allowing the construction work to continue. Our first priority is to protect our shore with a rock revetment and steel sheet piling. We also plan to complete the pocket beaches, boardwalk and fire pit area.


We have received the permit from the Michigan Department of Environmental Equality, but still await the permit from the Army Corps of Engineers. We hope to receive it by the middle of November.

Spirit of Arcadia Campaign

The Spirit of Arcadia Campaign (SOA), which began this past May, currently has pledges of around $1,503,000. I am humbled by the willingness of so many to support this campaign. I, along with more than 20 volunteers, will continue to meet with Camp supporters as part of our effort to fully fund Stage One of the Spirit of Arcadia. If you would like to talk with me about financially supporting the SOA Campaign, please contact me by email at or by phone (231) 889-4361. Additionally, if you would like a reminder of what is included in Stage One, please click here.

LCA Membership Approval

On November 4th at the annual meeting of the LCA, our membership will vote to allow Camp to complete the shoreline protection system prior to obtaining pledge support of 90% and cash on hand of 50% (financial parameters that were in the motion that LCA approved at the 2016 annual meeting) and to allow Camp to take on debt, as needed, to complete the project. If you are an LCA member we encourage you to vote yes for the approval.

Loan Opportunities

We are in the process of learning more about loan opportunities from local banks, Thrivent and the Church Extension Fund of the Michigan District LCMS. We are gathering the documents required to apply for a loan from these sources and we will evaluating the financing terms that are being offered for this project.  Repayment of any loan will be made from the pledges that will be paid to the SOA.


We encourage all of you to stay engaged with us during this important and crucial time in Camp’s history. We need the support of all of the Camp Arcadia community to preserve Camp for future generations. We will continue to send out timely updates in the coming weeks and months. Please continue to keep Camp Arcadia in your prayers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share the Post:

Related Posts