Part-Time Assistant Kitchen Manager / Sous Chef Job Description
Camp Arcadia is seeking a part-time Assistant Kitchen Manager / Sous Chef for the 2022 summer.
Dates for the position are mid-May 2022 through Labor Day 2022, and potentially longer. We are flexible on the start and end dates. Work will be strictly kitchen related. Onsite housing is not provided. This is a part time position of up to 32 hours per week. Paid hourly ($16 – $20) depending on experience. The hours and days are negotiable.
Camp Arcadia is a Lutheran family Camp located on the shores of Lake Michigan. Camp serves three meals a day Monday through Friday and one meal on Saturday and Sunday.
The Assistant Kitchen Manager / Sous Chef will serve as the second in charge of the kitchen and will take lead when the Food Service Director/Head Chef is off or unavailable. The Food Service Director / Head Chef is the same position, and is in charge of the overall operations of the Dining Room and Kitchen facilities. The Food Service Director / Head Chef reports to the Executive Director. In the absence of the Head Chef, the Assistant Kitchen Manager / Sous Chef will report directly to the Executive Director.
This position will:
- Serve as a role model for the rest of the kitchen staff.
- Serve as the second in charge in the kitchen.
- Assist in preparation of weekly menus while including two served family style meals and one buffet meal each day, for 200-250 guests.
- Prepare, cook, and platter food alongside Head Chef and Assistant Cooks.
- Help to manage the division of responsibility for food preparation among kitchen staff.
- Assist in maintaining inventory control.
- Assist in planning the daily work schedule around the preparation and service of all meals.
- Clean and care for the kitchen equipment.
- Supervise the cleanliness of the dining room, kitchen, and dishwashing room.
- Assist in managing two assistant cooks, and two head servers.
- Assist in managing meal planning, proper meal preparation, and cooking for the campers/staff with food allergies or dietary restrictions.
- Report to the Food Service Director/Head Chef and Executive Director
We are looking for someone who
- Is familiar with or willing to learn the operation of commercial kitchen equipment.
- The ability to supervise and delegate work.
- Willingness to work with and supervise college aged adults.
- Support Camp Arcadia’s Mission “The mission of the Lutheran Camp Association is to provide a setting for Christian families and individuals to vacation with God, and to foster the renewal of the whole person — spirit, mind, and body — amid the beauty of God’s creation and in fellowship with other Christians.”
- Foodservice Experience (Desired but not required)
- Management Experience (Desired but not required)
- If you do not have the following certifications we would provide the opportunity to get them if hired.
- ServSafe Management Certification
- ServSafe Allergens Certification
- Free use of Camp’s Facilities during Summer Family Weeks
- Meals for immediate family when working
Interested applicants should: