Beach Crisis Update – Dec. 14 by Chip May

“You of little faith, why are you afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!” – Matthew 8:26 – 27

During the beach crisis I have done my share of praying and reflecting. The story of Jesus calming the waters brings me hope that he is in control and he will calm the waves and protect Camp. But if I were to be honest, I think of this story a lot because I feel like the disciples in the boat.  Like them I know Jesus, I have witnessed his power and grace, yet still I am afraid. Still I doubt and worry. The words “you of little faith” ring in my ears and I feel ashamed that I fail to fully trust that Jesus is in control and he will protect Camp Arcadia.  Join me in praying for faith and trust in God through out this whole beach crisis. Now on to the update …


Beach Conditions

It has been a pretty windy fall and early winter with very large waves breaking on shore. Click here to view a video and pictures of our shoreline in winter. While we have had some beach erosion we have thankfully been spared any catastrophic events. There is an old wooden seawall in front of the Inn by the foot wash station that has been uncovered as the erosion moves towards the buildings. While this seawall is falling a part it is still somewhat protecting the beach behind it, which is most welcomed. Also the cold temperatures have caused the water that sprays on shore to freeze, making it harder for the sand to erode. We pray that the water nearshore starts to freeze so our beach is even more protected as the waves break offshore.


Shoreline Project

We have selected a contractor, Team Elmer’s, out of Traverse City. Their bid came in very competitive with our cost estimates and they are a large company that has a lot of experience working on shorelines. They have already created the stone needed for our rock revetment and will start to bring it to Camp and store it here for the project. This is crucial as there could be a six week period in the late winter or early spring when the frost laws prohibit large haulers to travel down Oak Street to Camp.

We still await the permit from the Army Corps. We have been in weekly contact with them and have every confidence that we will receive the permit soon, probably in mid-January. Assuming this is the case, we plan to start working on the project in January and complete it by the start of the season.


Spirit of Arcadia Campaign

We have around $2 million pledged towards our goal of $2.5 million with $720,000 of the pledges received. I give thanks to God for the generous outpouring of support for Camp Arcadia’s ministry. It is truly humbling. We will be going public with the SOA campaign this spring. If you are interested in making a pledge, please contact me at or (231) 889-4361.

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share the Post:

Related Posts